Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Remembering how to fly

I flew tonight and it was amazing.  I'd forgotten what it felt like to have wings on my feet.  After Dutch Dance street practice I was not ready to settle in for homework.  I'm two papers and one final away from graduating...motivation is at an all time low.  The sun had already started to set and my computer told me the temperatures were in the 70s (20s).  I decided to grab my bike (and some fluids) and head out and see if I could catch the tail end of the sunset. I told my whiteboard where I was going and when I'd be back and I took off.
I missed most the sunset because there was lots of low lying cloud cover.  Did see some pretty spiffy sun beams though:

When I hit one mile hill I just stopped pedaling and let gravity take over.  It was incredible.  The last time I was out on my bike the temperatures were just above freezing and there was snow and ice on the trails so I had to take it slow.  Not tonight. Tonight I was flying.  I felt the wind in my face, the music pumping through my ears...such incredible freedom.  It was just me and Jesus out there tonight and it was amazing. 
I didn't ride all the way to the dam tonight becuase I got a late start.  When about half my alotted time was up I turned around and headed back to campus.  I didn't think it was possible, but coming back was even better than going out.  I was half way up one mile hill before I realized I was on the hill...I ususally don't make it up the hill in one go...I hit a rythmn and just kept going.  My legs burned, my heart hurt, my lungs were gasping for air (maybe not taking my asthma medication for 1-2 weeks was a poor choice), but I was riding free and I loved it.  Pella, I'm going to miss your bike trails.  I'm going to miss flying...it just doesn't work so well on loose gravel.
The verse that came to mind while I was flying:
"but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint."
Isa 40:31

Oh, by the way, I graduate next week Saturday! (May 15)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Next time you feel like flying, you should tell me. I love flying :) -Em