Sunday, May 23, 2010

He will cover you with his feathers...

Anyone who knows me well knows that I love Psalm 91.  If you haven't read it recently, stop reading this, grab your Bible and go read it.  Seriously.  Or, if you are a computer nerd and would rather read on the computer, here's a link to it: Psalm 91 in English or in German.  Now go back and read verse four again:  He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge..." (Psalm 91:4, NIV).  I love that verse and the image it puts in my head. Earlier this year I listened to/participated in a teaching on the jealousy of our G-d. One of the images drawn during the teaching was the image of G-d as a mother bird who jealously protects her chicks from danger.  It was said that G-d protects us in that way as well.  I've seen a mama bird protecting her chicks and a mama bird with chicks is not something to be messed with.  If G-d is like a mama bird, I'm in good hands. 
This spring a mama robin built her nest outside the kitchen window.  So everytime I do dishes (and I do dishes a lot) I get to watch her.  It's a great reminder of G-d's jealousy for me and the protection I have under his wings.  I tried to take a picture of her, but the screen on the window gets in the way, so it's not an amazing picture. Those eggs (and soon chicks) are safe under her wings, just like I am safe under G-d's wings.
This morning we celebrated Pentecost. As part of the decoration for Pentecost, they had paper doves hanging at the front of the sanctuary.  Once again I was reminded of the image of G-d as a bird, protecting us under his wings.  The dove is the symbol of the Holy Spirit (Luke 3:22), which G-d sent to the believers on Pentecost (Acts 2) and whom lives in all believers.  A bird, to be our helper and comforter, sent from G-d to be with me.
He certainly covers me with his feathers and gives me refuge under his wings!

Sometimes I think G-d just knows what I need to be reminded of and when...He's kinda cool like that. ;)

No comments: