Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Update on my wrist

I met with the orthopedic surgeon this afternoon for follow-up on my wrist. The verdict is both good news and not so good news. 
Good news first: it is not broken and I won't need surgery. 
Now for the not so good news: it is badly sprained and in the process of spraining it I "inconvenienced" a nerve at its insertion point so I have limited sensation in my thumb and first finger. By "inconvenienced" I mean that we could not decide whether it was just stretched or pinched or what happened to it.  We just know it's very grumpy. It's a very weird feeling. It also means that my thumb is not being very cooperative. 
Instead of the partial cast I now have a removable wrist splint that I can take off for pool time and showers and such, but need to wear if I'm doing anything that might hurt.
So that's the story for now.

No comments: