Friday, January 15, 2010

The Lord bless you...

I was visiting before dinner this evening with my good friend and mentor, Aunt Nancy. I've been blessed to be able to spend some time with her over this break and have some good talks with her.  She often has wonderful insight into life and I enjoy spending time with her.
Today she came to see me to see to send me off to school for my last semester.  We sat at the table and talked about all manner of things- the two hour bus delay this morning, ideas that doctors had about the seizures, what courses I'm taking this semester, what I'm looking forward to class-wise (Cognitive psychology and ASL), what I'm not looking forward to quite as much (Intro to philosophy), our current knitting, crocheting and quilting projects and other things.  After a time she had to leave and I had to finish getting things ready for supper.  We stood and hugged.  I like hugs a lot.  As I was in her arms she blessed me using the words from Numbers 6: "The Lord bless you and keep you.  The Lord make his face shine upon you and give you peace".  Then she prayed with me.
I've heard those words lots of times. "The Lord bless you and keep you..." and everytime they strike a chord deep in my heart.   When someone says those words, they are acknowledging that they can't keep you.  No matter how much they want to, they can't keep you safe, they can't protect you, they can't give you peace.  It's natural for people to want to keep others safe, but we have to realize that we can't always do it.  I have younger siblings that I would love to be able to protect and keep safe.  I would do anything to keep them from getting hurt.  But I can't.  I have friends that I would love to protect.  I have friends who are troubled.  I would love to give them peace.  But I can't.  Only G-d can do that.
On occasion I've been asked how my parents could let me go all the places they've let me go (Africa, Germany, etc) and how they can let me go to school so far from home given my medical challenges. Everytime they are challenged, my father replies that he learned a long time ago to give me to G-d and let G-d handle it.  They know where their influence runs out and when they have to let G-d step in and I love them all the more for it.
G-d's got this next semester in His hands and it's all going to be okay. If you are reading this, I speak this words over you:  "The Lord bless you and keep you.  The Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you.  The Lord turn his face towards you and give you peace."
Be blessed and live in HIS blessings.

No comments: