Saturday, December 17, 2011

Are you an introvert?

Someone asked me the other day if I was an introvert. It remind me of this blog post that I had tucked away in a secret place, waiting for the right time to post.  I decided today was as good a day as any.  So here it is.

According to people who know stuff, only about 25% of the people in the world are introverts. And like many things those 25% of the people fit on a continuum ranging from mildly introverted to extremely introverted. Other people  argue that everyone falls somewhere on the scale between extreme extroversion to extreme introversion. along a normal bell type curve with the majority of people would fall somewhere in the middle (I don't care enough to do the actual research and see who is right. popular opinion is that 25% of the population is introverted). I'm much closer to the extreme introversion end of things that the mildly introverted. People exhaust me. I recently read an excellent article  about introversion and I wanted to reiterate some of the points the author made.

1. Introverts don't like to talk.
This is simply not true. It's not that I don't like to talk. At times I've been accused of talking too much. But every time I've accused of talking to much it's because I'm talking about something that interests me. I despise small talk most the time. I don't care to talk about the weather unless we are about to be blown away by a tornado, there is cool stuff to take pictures of, or the like. Same with sports. Kids, children's programming, cooking, baking, sewing...those are all great things to talk about. Your story, why you do what you do, how you feel about events in your life and why...those are even better things to talk about.
If you want me to talk and to listen to you talk, lets go somewhere where there isn't a ton of background noise. I can focus on what you are saying better and really listen.

2. Introverts are shy.
False. I am not shy. I just need a reason to get out. I don't want to be a bother to anyone or interrupt anyone's thoughts.

3. Introverts are rude.
Not intentionally. I just don't see the world the same way as everyone else. Beating around the bush is a waste of time, unless you are actually try to flush a small critter out of the bush. Just tell me what you are thinking and let me tell you what I'm thinking. Give me time to find my words if I need them, but don't be surprised if I just want to speak my mind or ask super blunt question. Besides, there are less misunderstandings if everyone is clear with what they are saying. I'm not blunt to be rude, just to be understood.

4. Introverts don't like people.
I am almost laughing at this one. I love people. I love people a lot. My friends are super valuable to me and I would do anything for any of them without expecting anything in return. I just don't like to be superficial with lots of people. It goes back to not liking small talk. It also ties in with the next point...

5. Introverts don't like to go out in public and introverts always want to be alone.
I'm comfortable being alone. I don't like having to deal with everything that goes along with being out in public, but I get terribly lonely when I'm alone. I can also get terribly lonely when I'm with people if I'm not connected. I connect best with one or two people at a time. I also connect really well with children. They don't care how my hair looks or if I just want to build with blocks and imagine for awhile. Being in public can be very exhausting. There is so much to take in when you are in public...noises, lights, people. After day of Christmas shopping all I want to do is go to my room and be alone. Even talking to my boyfriend is too much sometimes (and I really like talking to my boyfriend). I go to church and then come home and sleep. If I've preached at that service I come home and sleep for a long time because that's even more exhausting.

6. Introverts are weird.
I can't really dispute that. But I'm okay with that. Yeah, I'm weird. I'm unique. There's no one quite like me and that's probably a good thing.

7. Introverts don't know how to relax and have fun.
False. We just do it differently. Relaxing for me is going on a walk, either alone or with someone, swimming laps, sitting and writing on awesome sites like 750words.com or my blog, sewing, baking or otherwise amusing myself.

The article says more, but that's who I am and how it relates to me.

No comments: